Wednesday 14 October 2015

Back in DK

HAY design store in Aarhus, Denmark Room 606 in Arne Jacobsen's Radisson SAS Hotel, Copenhagen
PH Lamps by Poul Henningsen in Aarhus Central Station Skuespilehuset by Lundgaard & Tranberg Arkitekter, Copenhagen

It's taken a few years, and a few locations in between, but I've finally returned to Denmark! I lived in Denmark's second city, Århus, back in the summers of 2008 and 2009, and it's there that I Like Local began as a sort of personal blog/design blog hybrid. It was a way for me to share the design and architecture I was encountering day to day, and in the six years I've been writing it since, it's always been populated with my finds as I've travelled from city to city. Before I start (re)discovering design and architecture here in Copenhagen, I thought it would be good to share some of those posts from the early days below, and you can read all of my Danish posts here. Enjoy, or as they say here (I think, my Danish is pretty ropey...) nyd!

Hej HAY
Posted in August 2009 from Århus, Denmark
I was telling my Danish flatmate the other day that I can only think of two or three HAY stockists in Ireland, and he was shocked. It's such a staple here (and is shorthand for cool for any London design shop at this stage), it was no wonder it was one of my favourite places when I first lived here.

Jacobsen Fest, Part 1
Posted in February 2010 from Copenhagen, Denmark
No trip to Denmark is complete without a look at some of the work of Arne Jacobsen. This post is from a trip up to Room 606 in Jacobsen's SAS hotel, but his Skovshoved petrol station and Århus town hall are also worth a look.

Skuespilehuset
Posted in February 2010 from Copenhagen, Denmark
It was one of my favourite buildings in Copenhagen then, and I imagine it will take some searching to find one I like more now, Skuespilehuset by Lundgaard & Tranberg Arkitekter is one of a number of striking contemporary additions to Copenhagen's harbour.

Next Stop, Design
Posted in August 2009 from Århus, Denmark
Even train travel is stylish in Denmark. Read on for a glimpse into Århus Central Station and a train station turned into a design store.

Images 1, 2 and 4 author's own, 3 by Philip Kennedy